Metadata Management – Context matters!
Implementing enterprise metadata repository, metadata enrichment and accelerated metadata implementation and adoption.
- What data exists? For example Internal generated, externally collected, purchased
- What is the correct business definition, format, valid values?
- What data is PII data, critical data?
- What are the standards for data collection, distribution?
- How does data flow through the data lifecycle? From data creation to archival?
- What transformations, calculations at each data hop?
- Who are the users of data?
- Which department or division?
- Who is accountable for the dataset?
- What are the data quality, rules, and SLA’s?
- Is there a single location for enterprise metadata?
- Are users able to quickly find and understand data?
- Are users able to collaborate?
- Goals: Accurate, Accessible, and Consolidated Business glossary
- Accurate inventory of critical data assets, process information
- Business, Technical, and operational metadata to improve efficiency, reduce redundant efforts.